Saturday, June 28, 2008

More Soil, Home Depot and FINALLY Planting

Even after calculating the amount of soil I need to fill two approx. 3' x 4' raised beds, I underestimated. I had to get more topsoil, peat moss and sand. I went to the local hardware store rolling my dolley several blocks to get there only to find that they had just sold their last two bags of peat moss twenty minutes earlier. Determined to get everything planted today (the herbs couldn't wait another day to be put in the ground), I made the difficult decision to break my rule and drive a few blocks to the local Home Depot. Where, surprisingly, I got some really helpful gardening information and friendly customer service. I filled the car with several bags of topsoil, a bag of compost and some peat moss. (I don't have a cart big enough to hold this much dirt!)

I unloaded the variety of soil near the opening of the empty lot and carried/dolleyed the ten bags through the hole in the fence and across the lot to my garden site.

I moved the bed boxes from the loft and through the lot putting them in place on top of the two palettes that are serving as bases of the raised beds. I attached them with L-brackets to create a better fit.
After placing and mixing the dirt, I was finally ready to plant!

One of the boxes contains tomatoes, cilantro, and radishes. The other box houses lavender, basil (Siam Queen), dill, sage, and green onions.

After planting, I unrolled and cut chicken coop wire to attach to the top on the beds in order to keep unwanted visitors (and possible diners like raccoon, skunk, etc) out. Hopefully it works!

I watered the plants well and left them for the night.

No comments: